shape
shape
shape
shape
shape
shape
shape

S3Bubble Support Forums

To stay up to date with the latest S3Bubble updates and tutorials please make sure you sign up to our YouTube Channel.

home Forums General Questions & Bugs Android Playback of HLS stream

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      vintagefilm
      Participant

just got around to looking at my HLS videos on my Android phone and tablet, and I have an issue with playback. Have you tested HLS encrypted files on Android? I assume it is supposed to work, but have no real idea. Un-encrypted streams play just fine, but the encrypted ones do not. The same encrypted files play on my Windows10 and W7 machines just fine.

The Android dev specs
      https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/media/media-formats.html
      don’t match up exactly with the standard encoding pipeline, does this matter?

s3bubble
      Keymaster

Hi vintagefilm,

We will be looking into this.

We are looking to add an extra option in the encryption process to allow an mp4 fallback which we can then use to support very old android devices so this will only come into play if the media fails to load.

This is the reason services like Netflix AWS Prime etc always have a native mobile app instead of a web app to get around all the really old browsers.

I will keep you updated on this, going to run some tests.

Best Regards

Sam

s3bubble
      Keymaster

Hi vintagefilm,

You can now set a mp4 fallback when running encryption this will cover fallback to really old Android devices and should cover all bases regarding cross platform support.

Best Regards

Sam

vintagefilm
      Participant

Hey Sam, did this work for you? Maybe I did it wrong. This morning I have started over with a new bucket, pipeline, cloudfront etc, based on your new Custom Setups. Very Cool BTW. Thanks for that!. Uploaded a new video and encoded to HLS and the new MP4 fallback, both encrypted. The files appear in the bucket, and the mp4 won’t play directly in a browser window, so that’s good, I assume it’s encrypted as expected. And I check in Chrome on my android phone- Moto G4-(not so old- less than a year, and still available) and it plays back on wifi with a lot of buffering. So, first question. Is this the original file I uploaded, or a re-encode with the encryption added? My original file was probably 2 mbps or so. Next test– playback on the desktop in Chrome and Firefox. Plays fine, but I checked the network in dev tools and it is playing the same mp4 file, not HLS. I guess I was expecting the player would switch between HLS and the mp4 file based on the OS.Did I miss a step, or mess something up? Or it this the expected situation?

I have another question for you, but I will start a new thread for that.

Grace
      VFC

s3bubble
      Keymaster

Hi vintagefilm,

It shouldn’t be playing the mp4 on desktop it should always serve hls Safari, Firefox and Chrome all support HLS can you send us a example link so we can take a look send it to support@s3bubble.com if you dont want to post here.

Best Regards

Sam

vintagefilm
      Participant

here’s the link https://vintagefilmchannel.com/2017/03/17/a-womens-man/

I just discovered something new. the HLS stream is not working in the backend of s3b either, so thinking it is broken in the stream itself, perhaps. I re-checked the wordpress post and looked at the embed plugin, and the hls stream does not appear there, so I may have selected the mp4 myself, not sure.

s3bubble
      Keymaster

Hi Vintagefilm,

I have checked the link and you are serving a mp4 with progressive playback instead of hls adaptive bitrate.

You can navigate to the correct link here.

https://s3bubble.com/secure/#/bucket/vfce1cf/AWomansManPreview+encoded-Mon-Mar-2017-17-08-42

adaptive bitrate always needs to be the .m3u8 file.

When you embed the code check the link has hls in it.

media.s3bubble.com/hls/progressive/id/

not below which is progressive

media.s3bubble.com/embed/progressive/id/

Best Regards

Sam

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by s3bubble.
      • This reply was modified 7 years ago by s3bubble.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Questions & Bugs’ is closed to new topics and replies.